Diet: Tapeworm Diet
Just when you think you’ve heard it all…
Actually, I have heard of this one before. A few years ago, my friend thought she had a tapeworm from a trip to South America and she decided to keep it and even name it (was it Stanley? I can’t really remember) because she was losing so much weight. But, it turns out there is an actual recommended (by whom, I don’t know) Tapeworm Diet that now any fool can try! Eating for two has never been so much fun! Or has it?
The idea is that introducing tapeworm into the body means that the food you eat is split between your own body and that of the tapeworm. You are a host and tapeworm uses you by attaching suckers to your stomach and feeding on the foods that you eat. To expel calories, we are usually required to expend energy through exercise as an example. The tapeworm is an additional means of reducing the amount of calories that you absorb WITHOUT reducing the calories that you consume. Supporters of the tapeworm will praise this idea of dieters being able to eat whatever they choose to eat while still losing weight.
Well, we are already living in a world where people eat the faces off each other while still alive (would it be better if they were dead? Zombie Nation!), a chef serves customers his own genitals on a plate, and a Canadian porn star has turned Cannibal…so, I guess the tapeworm diet isn’t actually all that strange. Except let’s look at how you get this in your body in the first place:
How to Ingest a Tapeworm: The traditional way of becoming infected with a tapeworm is by eating raw meat, being in contact with infected faeces and other foods containing tapeworm. However, for the purposes of dieting, methods would include the tablet form.
UGH!! The world is a scary, scary place. That’s all I can say. And if you are actually considering this diet (EW NO PLEASE DO NOT), then you should know about the risks and side effects, which are a-plenty:
- Ingesting a tapeworm is basically infecting your body with a foreign living organism which the body will try and fight off. Tapeworms are not intelligent or obedient, they won’t stay in your stomach just because you tell them too, it is possible for tapeworm to deviate into other parts of your body through your blood system, even your brain, where of course it can have deadly results
- Tapeworms do not just eat calories they are nutrient hungry. Remember, you are the host and the tapeworm is a parasite, using you as nourishment. This means that the tapeworm can actually result in vitamin deficiencies.
- The amount of actual calories ingested by the tapeworm is not significant enough to allow a dieter to ignore other healthy lifestyle habits made up of good eating and exercise.
- Remember that the tapeworm is a living organism and as such maybe felt inside the digestive system and one its way out.
- Some people’s organs are blocked by the eggs and this can result in death.
- Abdominal pain
Well, there you have it–the lengths people will go to to shed some pounds. Invading their own bodies with a foreign organism. Sigh. Sorry to bring this into your life, but it’s better than cannibals right?? Oh wait, I mentioned those too…apologies all around.
(Image courtesy of TopTenz)