Skip to content

Weighty Matters: Groupon & LivingSocial

November 20, 2012

“Here’s to your Health!” was the subject line of an email that Groupon sent me earlier this month.

For those of you completely out of the loop, Groupon and LivingSocial are sites that offer daily deals all over the country (and world, at this point) at restaurants, retailers, and service providers. When they first broke a few years ago, I was a little obsessed. With my friends and family, I took advantage of everything from plane flying lessons to spa treatments, trying new restaurants and yoga studios all over the darn place and it was fabulous. Bur recently, due to much less funds in my life, and a sort of “been there, done that” attitude (except skydiving…still open to trying that), I am no longer really that involved in their deals but I still get their daily emails.

So back to that early November email. I was intrigued by the “Here’s to your Health!” slogan, so I clicked on the link. And here is what they were offering in terms of “health”: Massage, Electro-Slim Body Sculpting Sessions, Fat Reducing Treatment, Cellulite Reduction Treatments, and Medical Spa Treatments. Ok. So, 3/5 of those are specifically weight-oriented…and not even “health” weight oriented (such as fitness or nutrition classes) but “image” weight oriented (“Surgeon uses Cellulaze laser fiber to liquefy fat pockets in order to smooth cellulite-ridden skin“). Yes, Groupon does offer plenty of fitness deals and from time to time I see a nutrition oriented deal (such as a juice diet). But, even now, just clicking over to the “Health” section of Groupon right now, out of approximately 49 deals, 15 of them are specifically weight related (that’s almost 1/3) and many of the remaining are botox/face tightening/teeth whitening/injection related.

Don’t these people just look so natural and happy after partaking in a “body slimming” laser surgery deal from Groupon?

Now what’s the big deal? Cellulite is a problem, right? It’s something that affects so many of us, so why shouldn’t we get to save bucks on taking care of it? Well, here’s the big deal: this is what consumerist America thinks are “health” issues that we need taken care of. This is what we are being peddled day to day in our inbox: cellulite? GET RID OF IT! excess fat? LASER IT OFF! don’t want to work out? USE AN OBSCURE NONINVASIVE “BODY SCULPTING” TREATMENT TO CONTOUR THE BODY WITH NO DOWNTIME! (seriously, I’ve actually seen signs advertising this exact same procedure on the side of the road in Pennsylvania…that’s how legit it is). And so, deeper into our psyche seeps “You are not good enough how you are. You need to fix every flaw that you have and get a discount while doing it.” As if dealing with the media bombardment on a regular basis were not enough (explain to me how this “fashion” show is even still in existence, please, and how these models are functioning human beings), now we are bombarded directly in our inboxes with ridiculous and extravagant “image” consciousness as purported “health” issues. How exactly is this “health”? Sure, it could be argued that in order for you to need cellulite treatment in the first place, you must be overweight and therefore unhealthy but…that’s simply false. Plenty of thin people have cellulite  (even Kate Moss, for goodness sakes!) due to genetics, aging, etc. It’s a damn fact of life that, just like most other things in existence, can be countered (at least somewhat) by healthy diet and exercise. Or, if you’re to believe Groupon, spending absurd amounts of hard-earned money (yes, even with the discounts) on obscure laser treatments. By advertising these treatments in their “health” section instead of under “beauty,” it intentionally makes the consumers feel that we are not taking care of ourselves (not “being healthy,” which I hope we all know at this point is a holistic process, involving body, mind, and spirit) if we do not opt to get laser surgery or cellulite treatment. And this is simply misleading and detrimental.

The point is: we cannot escape the constant pressure to look perfect, no matter where we go (if it’s not enough to see unattainable images of “beauty” plastered all over magazine covers at drugstores and newstands, now it’s coming straight to our inboxes!) but we can choose to ignore it and focus on our own actual health and well-being instead. We can choose to empower ourselves. We can choose to focus our time, energy, and resources on creating an actually healthy lifestyle for ourselves as individuals. Also, please notice that all these deals are specifically oriented towards women…as usual (yes, I know the picture above features a man, but he is the only one in all the pictures found, and I just loved that he was enjoying the pool next to his newly-lasered lover). As if we don’t have enough to worry about without stressing out about whether or not we should indulge in a cellulite treatment. Let’s get real, folks. The more time we are wasting focusing on stupid junk (sidenote: this is literal junkmail to me and may as well go to my spam folder with the likes of, for men, “enlarge your willie in one night!”) like this that the for-profit, commercial weightloss industry feeds us, the less we are spending on battling patriarchy and absurd social pressures. The weight loss industry continually uses body image as a hook to get women to spend their money on products or treatments by making us feel negative about ourselves and less than perfect. Don’t buy into (or buy at all, literally or figuratively) the hype.

Added 11/22/12: FRESHLY PRESSED: IT’S A THANKSGIVING MIRACLE!! I am so honored and proud to be featured in “Freshly Pressed”–it has been a long-time dream of mine in my 1.5 years of blogging and I am really grateful that this post was chosen. I thank you for reading and for all your wonderful comments. I hope you will follow HangryHippo (check out the sidebar!) to receive future posts of mine and that my words have made you think about something new today. Thanks again!

(Image courtesy of Groupon)

About these ads
117 Comments leave one →
  1. Joe permalink
    November 20, 2012 7:01 pm

so true! great post!

2. Streetflash permalink
    November 20, 2012 9:30 pm

I really like the terminological difference between “health” weight oriented and “image” weight oriented. Really illuminating phrasing that makes a good somewhat complex point quickly!

• November 23, 2012 3:02 am

It’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot but wasn’t completely sure how to phrase, probably because the point is quite complex. Thank you so much for your feedback and support!

3. Sexy Curmudgeon permalink
    November 21, 2012 4:21 am

Right, so right. I would add that the idea of them wanting you to spend money on these types of “image” weight oriented services (totally agree with Streetflash, such accurate phrasing) is actually part of the calculated “health” label that companies (both Groupon and the companies themselves) put on these services to make people feel as if they should become part of a “health” and “healthy lifestyle” routine – you know, a regular routine that is geared towards health – that’s always a positive, right? By falsely marketing these types of procedures as “health-oriented,” people can work them into a routine of massages, yoga sessions, exfoliation, and salad bars without even stopping to wonder if these activities are or should be related to the maintenance of a healthy body and mind. “Healthy,” as it’s used in modern society, has always been one of the words I most hate – precisely because of its over- and mis-use.

• November 23, 2012 3:03 am

Absolutely. It’s very insidious to use “health” as a marketing tool and you’re completely right that it’s become tragically “over- and mis-used” much to the detriment of actual health products. I’m so grateful for all your wonderful comments and support!

4. urbandude permalink
    November 21, 2012 4:44 pm

The distinction that Hangry makes about what might be accepted as “healthy” using Kate Moss as an example when commercial interests are trying to get people to buy products/services that are in fact not actually “healthy” at all lends a much-needed clarity to this obstinate morass. Thanks, Hangry.

• November 23, 2012 3:04 am

You’re so welcome! Love your use of “morass” :) It is so complicated!

5. November 22, 2012 10:35 pm

It’s the disparity between ‘visual health’ and ‘inner health’ that needs to be brought to attention. It’s not just the pin-up celebrities that gyms and health groups use to promote their services that we should be aiming to envisage in ourselves. Take a look on the inside, and the effects of alcohol & tobacco (and stronger stuff) might prove some of them aren’t as healthy as they appear to be.

• November 23, 2012 3:08 am

That is a really important point. It’s tragic how little we focus on inner health. And not just literally inner (as in our organs) but metaphorically inner (who we are as people and how we treat our bodies and minds). Many thin people are leading horribly unhealthy lifestyles (your example of alcohol and tobacco brings to mind Kate Moss, who is already mentioned in this post, who infamously smoked 60 cigarettes in a 3 hour photo shoot!) and yet for some reason we are supposed to want to emulate as the paradigm of beauty! Messed up.

6. November 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Great post! I have made note of our societal image obsession on my own blog. I am very active and love it, but you know, I am 54 and I likely will always have a jelly belly. If a woman has given birth as well, things do change on the female form.

It would seem these days aging is seen as the new disease. I have seen women who are around my age who have had surgery and it looks god awful! And I guess the saddest side to this is that they believe they look fabulous.

But why are they trying to look like they are in their early 30′s? It doesn’t fit.

Sadly we now have young women going under the knife. Why?

One the silliest commercials on TV is one by Nivea that has a girl who is likely under 20 years of age using an anti-wrinkle cream and claiming that the product is ‘erasing the signs of aging.’

There is nothing wrong with pampering oneself and getting the massages that are offered on Groupon, or even going for a facial. You can get your digits done, get your hair styled, and then have a fabulous meal!

Yes, Groupon has a ton of offerings, but body modifications have nothing to do with health.

Women need to just embrace themselves, but this is a huge industry. Even the models on the cover of the magazines don’t look like that…they’ve been airbrushed or Photoshopped to look ‘perfect.’

Sadly, far too many girls believe what is constantly being thrown in their face.

• November 23, 2012 3:12 am

Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment! I will be sure to check out your blog as soon as I can! :)

You’re so spot-on with all you said–it’s so sad how any signs of female aging is looked down upon (yet George Clooney, the perpetual aging bachelor, is consistently celebrated…) and the paranoia is definitely trickling down to women of younger and younger generations. And yesyesyes to this!: “…but body modifications have nothing to do with health.” Exactly! We as individuals absolutely do need to embrace ourselves and do our absolute best to counter this twisted yet deeply entrenched industry.

7. November 22, 2012 11:00 pm

A common, recent (to my ears) complaint about the health care industry is that all the efforts are on disease maintenance and not prevention. Sounds like the “health” industry is pretty much the same way, based on these offers. Could be an opportunity for chefs or foodies to offer health classes or cooking stuff.

• November 23, 2012 3:19 am

Definitely a great point. I wrote a few months back about J.I. Rodale who started Prevention Magazine in 1950 (still around today) which “promotes preventing disease rather than trying to cure it later. For decades it has been a leading source of information for those in North America interested in alternative health, including before the natural foods movement became popular in the late 1960s” so there are resources out there focued on preventative health information if you’re interested!

8. November 23, 2012 12:47 am

i ride bicycle to feel healthy but im also 50 years old and not so concerned about looking hot or something i just like to feel healthy

9. November 23, 2012 1:38 am

I wish I would have seen your blog before I bought my weight reducer Groupon for $400. I agree with you, it was a waste, right?

10. November 23, 2012 2:47 am

To me the whole issue is symptomatic of what happens when social anxieties are defined and then fed by commercial interests. A problem is created; then a product is sold to solve the issue. Was there a genuine issue to begin with? Possibly not.

Monty Python lampooned the whole thing, and with their usual panache, in one of their books.

• November 23, 2012 3:23 am

Yes! So true. And love the Monty Python reference…can never get enough of them in my life! (I once worked for Spamalot…what an experience)

• November 23, 2012 3:39 am

Cool! I have never seen Spamalot (want to, haven’t had a chance, down here in NZ), but I can quote the movie pretty much verbatim.

11. November 23, 2012 2:48 am

Brilliant! I could not agree more!

12. November 23, 2012 3:07 am

That’s a really good point, I recieve Groupon’s e-mails as well and it’s interesting to see how they categorize stuff like that.

• November 23, 2012 3:27 am

It’s something I just started thinking about recently, after feeling bombarded by all the cellulite-oriented emails. But then clicking over to their “health” section, I was honestly kind of astonished. Thanks for reading!

13. November 23, 2012 3:12 am

Amen. Preach sista, preach.

• November 23, 2012 3:24 am

I will! Join me!

• November 23, 2012 3:25 am

Just checked out your blog…loved it. A new follower here!

• November 23, 2012 4:09 am

Oh lord. Thank you. Right when I get lazy and don’t want to finish a post somebody like you pops up. I appreciate the support girl!! I needed it! :)

14. November 23, 2012 3:25 am

Well said

15. November 23, 2012 5:32 am

This is a good observation. Bit by bit all this nonsense is being broken down. Congratulations on the front page!

• November 25, 2012 5:42 am

Thanks verily! So much nonsense out there to tackle…it’s endless! ;)

16. November 23, 2012 6:01 am

Has Feminism failed? Or is the battle just getting started for a third time? It’s sick that women have to degrade themselves to the point of surgical procedures to make men “happy”.

Great article, food for thought for the post holiday slim fest.

• November 25, 2012 5:45 am

It’s a really good question. Feminism is such a complicated undertaking and it is truly pathetic how much women continually willingly degrade themselves (and pay good money for it, too!). This is a discussion I’m fascinated by…we should discuss!

• November 28, 2012 6:03 pm

I’ve always been what is considered a “tomboy”, another term that is degrading. What’s wrong with a young woman wanting to bake cookies and then play paintball? I wanted to join the Peace Keepers or be a criminologist in high school, Mom didn’t want me to get shot and pushed me towards engineering. That’s when I clearly began to see why feminism is important, it was right in front of me in classrooms full of men, taught by men, and the Dean had a reputation for being harsher on female students if they stuggled, as many did. I personally knew a good 90% of the female students in the engineering program at my university. We stuck together. I know this has wandered off topic but I wanted to respond to keep the conversation going. There are many many aspects to feminism, and many more that I want to learn about. Can you recall a certain time in life that you recognized/found/experienced feminism?

17. November 23, 2012 8:32 am

makes sense :)

18. November 23, 2012 8:44 am

I love that the photo of the couple are ridiculously skinny. Unhealthy really!

• November 25, 2012 5:46 am

And they don’t even look happy at alL! They look like they can barely move…turns out skinniness is not the key to happiness.

19. November 23, 2012 9:08 am

Reblogged this on misentopop.

20. November 23, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks. It is very nice.

21. November 23, 2012 11:55 am

These companies know when they are on to a good thing. When I owned a dress-shop I found that no-one – I repeat no-one was satisfied with their shape. Even the most perfect looking woman would complain about some feature or other … I suppose it is our nature – but who defines `perfect` and that image changes over the centuries doesn`t it? Personally I am waiting for the Reubens period to return. Good blog.

22. November 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Great post. There are so many bizarre ‘health’ products sold on Groupon. I’ve been seeing a ton of super pricey anti-cellulite ones over the past few months.

23. November 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Ahhh so very true! I too receive all the same emails from Living Social and Groupon, and yes, most of the time, total junk mail. And a LOT of the time, the advertisements are specifically targeted toward vanity. It’s depressing. Thank you for saying something!

24. November 23, 2012 6:50 pm

It’s true! I get LivingSocial and Groupon deals ALL the time for Botox! There are so many things on there that are targeted toward vanity. I think they count on people’s insecurity – you need whiter teeth, less wrinkles, less cellulite, less fat, straighter teeth …. Just another manifestation of society’s pressure on people to look perfect!

• November 25, 2012 5:48 am

Yes, exactly. The list of unattainable (or attainable, I suppose, if you dedicate all your time/energy/resources to it, like celebrities do) beauty needs is seriously endless and ridiculous.

25. November 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Congrats for making it onto Freshly Pressed.

You realize these types of Groupons will only be worse come January when everyone has resolutions to live up to.

• November 25, 2012 5:49 am

Oy, good point! Well, then perhaps I’ll just have to write another post about it then too ;)

26. November 23, 2012 7:58 pm

I too was in love with Groupon. They started a Groupon goods section and I bought earrings which promptly fell apart. Maybe the magic is gone.

• November 25, 2012 5:51 am

Ugh that’s disappointing. I don’t generally have much against Groupon, but this in particular just really bothered me!

27. November 23, 2012 9:47 pm

who knew such things existed like groupon and living social. The benefits of living in smallville and not having TV or listening to the radio for the past 4 years. :) ignorance is indeed bliss :)

3 years ago I was all over stuff that would make cellulite go away and fat melt but have found that heavy doses of determination and dedication to the gym and keeping my hand away from my mouth have been far more successful in getting rid of the cellulite and improving my self image!

I was just looking through the Victoria Secret catalog and thinking, hmmmmm thats a cute bra. hmmmmm i wonder why i mostly wear the nude bras these days when I used to wear all the pretty ones? Oh yeah! I feel pretty good about how I look these days so I dont need a fancy bra to make me feel awesome! :D

• November 25, 2012 5:54 am

Ah sounds lovely! It’s wonderful to feel so fabulous naturally about yourself! Share your wisdom with all of us!

• November 26, 2012 12:22 pm

I was looking through the Victorias Secret catalogue myself recently, but the light in my small toilet just isn’t good enough to see the girls properly. Is their a Groupon discount for reading glasses?

28. November 23, 2012 9:52 pm

Great Blog. I like that you draw attention to the fact that cellulite is a natural part of life even for healthy people. To me this is a misunderstanding of where our attention should be as far as health is concerned. I work as a marketing coordinator for a company that gets kids active early http://www.playgroundentertainment.com so that kids develop the skills to play sports effectively so they stay involved in them longer.

• November 25, 2012 5:55 am

What a great mission. I’d love if you’d do a guest post for me sometime! Let me know if you’re interested.

29. November 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Wow! The beauty industry is a multi~billion dollar a year industry … just a little excessive!

30. November 23, 2012 11:40 pm

We are from different countries but do share the same opinion, this is goog to know!!! Nice post ;)

• November 25, 2012 5:57 am

How wonderful! Thanks so much for stopping by…don’t be a stranger!

31. November 24, 2012 2:24 am

I agree. It’s just ridiculous how the media treats us & almost insulting that they think people will buy into that. It’s brainwashing essentially. I’m so glad I’m a real woman & am learning to appreciate myself for having a natural body. Flaws are what make us perfect & individual.

32. November 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Great post. It’s weird that we can read The Emperor’s New Clothes as kids but then fall for it time and again – buy this and you’ll be perfect. You’re so right that what is sold as Health so rarely has anything to do with that.

I teach the Alexander Technique and it amazes me how hard it is for so many of us to accept ourselves and allow us to be as we are. Time to dig out my design for that “I modelled for Reubens” t-shirt – large size only of course.
    congratulations on being freshly pressed.

• November 25, 2012 6:02 am

I love that comparison. It took me such a tragically long time to realize that my sense of self and personal beauty could only come from the inside–from me! Not from losing 10 pounds, not from buying some fancy product, just me.

And I would love to learn more about the Alexander Technique…would you be interested in doing a guest post?

33. magentmama permalink
    November 24, 2012 3:26 pm

I have a Dutch friend who SWEARS by Groupon, she takes up every offer they come up with!

• November 25, 2012 6:02 am

Well they do often have some very tempting offers…can’t completely blame her!

34. November 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Loved this! Your go GIRL! Curves for days… no one wants to have sex with an ironing board!

35. November 24, 2012 8:17 pm

totally with you! I also get groupons daily emails, and they do seem to have recently had a mass of ‘health’ offers available. I’m proud to say I have never, and will never, go down the botox/surgical/non natural methods to keep my beauty. I may have various issues with food, but I’m glad to say I’ve never fallen to the ‘health’ industry.

• November 25, 2012 6:06 am

That is wonderful. And I’m really interested to see more of what you explore on your blog…keep writing!

• December 7, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks, I’m not sure I’m really so good at explaining what goes on in my head but it’s always good to know someone is actually reading it

36. November 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Eh, I have a cheaper alternative which I am guilty of using, with all the food I cook, bake and blog about: tummy control dresses. A-line-ish dresses creates a slimming effect. Plus, nobody notices how overweight I am as long as I keep blinding people with my smile :)

37. November 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Have actually never tried Groupon but have heard rather bad stuff about the company and don’t really think I will. Where I live there are so many other, better alternatives so… Great post!

• November 25, 2012 6:07 am

Sometimes they have great offers (and their customer service is actually quite impressive) but I was just so disappointed by this I had to write about it. Thanks for reading!

38. November 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Awesome. Good post!

39. November 25, 2012 4:29 am

great post! injecting chemicals under the skin, putting risks under the knife and laser don’t sound healthy at all. more suitable to call it attaining unattainable beauty. why don’t these online group sellers refer “health” term to sell organic vitamins, salmon omega gels, extra calcium milk, vouchers on chiropractic clinic etc instead? sounds more related.
    groupon and living social are booming in my country as well recently. nothing bad about it, we just need to be wise enough to choose their offers.

• November 25, 2012 6:11 am

Absolutely, you are completely spot-on. I was really just appalled by this! There are so many wonderful natural health products that should and could be accessible to the public. This country has a long way to go on focusing on actual health though…

40. November 25, 2012 9:47 am

Really interesting. The media and its attitudes towards consumerism causes many ills in today’s society. At this time of the year, watching TV is like watching one big commercial of things to buy for Christmas – many of which involve ‘beauty’ products. So the timing of your post I find particularly apt. I purchased a ‘Groupon’ deal once, to go to a local wildlife park. It was a good deal so I guess the message is to sift through the bullshit there may be something there for you. . . if only time allowed! Congratulations on being ‘Freshly Pressed’.

• November 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Exactly. It’s amazing all the products and services that are “beauty” oriented that are shoved down our throats especially at this time of year! And you’re right–there are definitely good deals but I was just irked at the way they are promoting certain things as “health” related that clearly are not.

41. November 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Funny to see this post today – I just got the same groupon. Used it to have my hair done earlier on – enjoyed the savings. Don’t think I will be trying the injection of anything under my skin though – that just isn’t right! Will have to scour groupon for a winter gym membership or new ski boots…just seems more natural to me!

42. November 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Great post! This reminds me of a lot of people I’ve known in my life who are of a clearly healthy weight who say, “I just want to be healthy, that’s all. I don’t care how I look.” Then they proceed to go on a fad diet or talk about that 5 lbs they need to get off or something. I want my friends to be healthy at all weights – what I do not want is any of them (or myself) to obsess over what the health LOOKS like and to jump through unhealthy hoops to get there.

I wish we didn’t have to focus so much on this. I’ve been working on losing weight I’ve gained in the last year. The reason, I tell myself, is because if I continue like this I’m going to have a major health issue (I’m not there yet). But I cannot help but gaze at myself in the mirror, impatient and upset at what I see when I used to love my imperfect body.

• November 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Amazing point–what does health look like? This is why I feel that marketing products like this is so insidious–it makes people who are otherwise healthy and taking care of their body feel like they’re not doing enough, are not perfect enough. And that’s just so wrong, on so many levels.

I completely identify with the struggle you’re going through. I have days where I want to lose weight because of health reasons and days where I feel absolutely disgusting in my own skin and desperately just want a new body. It’s a daily process and you’ll make it through. And feel free to stop by this blog for support! Keep in touch.

43. Liz permalink
    November 25, 2012 5:07 pm

Both of those sites have great offers, and they offer half price most of the time. They are a great tool to use if you want to save some cash. :)

• November 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Agreed. And I truly have gotten some great deals! I was really bothered, however, by their marketing of these products and services as “health” oriented. They need to be more aware of the societal impact they are having, as so many people are perusing their site and taking part in their deals.

44. November 25, 2012 7:24 pm

I got that too. At one point I got one of Groupon’s “Health” deal emails, and two or three of the deals were laser hair removal. I was really confused about Groupon’s definition of health at that point.

• November 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Hah! Good point…how exactly is hair removal health related? Oh the ridiculousness never ends…

45. November 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Living Social offered my a colon cleanse. Never mind.

• November 26, 2012 1:58 am

There are more cost effective ways which are preventative in nature. A holistic doctor told me the benefits of adding some spices to drinking water or tea. If you want to kill the bacteria in the intestines, 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder in a glass of drinking water works. But maybe I am just a misinformed person who doesn’t like how reactive Western medicine is. :P

• November 26, 2012 3:09 am

I think I might be okay without one – after 61 years – so far so good.

• November 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Amen. Keep up the good work!

46. November 26, 2012 12:35 am

It’s disturbing that words like “health” and “cleanse” have become so twisted by branding and marketing. So many people would like to be healthy but they have lost sight of which end is up. I found some clarity recently while talking to one of my yoga teachers who is also an ayurveda expert. http://effthefunk.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/find-your-ideal-body/

• November 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for sharing the link! I am really interested in ayurveda and that is a wonderful interview.

• November 29, 2012 11:56 am

Thank you! Patricia is the best.

47. November 26, 2012 2:52 am

If anyone has the time, please check out my blog about Stereotypes. I am new to Word Press, just trying to promote my work for my Interpersonal Communications Class. Thanks you! Christine

48. November 26, 2012 5:19 am

Very true. The word health has been co-opted by marketers. I think it’s part of the reason obesity is such a problem – for too long people focused on the societal acceptability of fat, vs. the actual proven detrimental effects of being overweight on health of the heart, kidneys, liver, etc.

• November 26, 2012 9:24 pm

That is such an interesting point. Instead of consistently focusing on obesity as a superficial, “beauty” related issue–and marketing all kinds of products towards that–we need to shift the focus to real and scary health issues that are causing serious problems all across our country.

49. November 26, 2012 8:56 am

I didn’t actually think about it until you put it this way. That’s for awakening!

50. November 26, 2012 9:00 am

Meatless Monday…

51. November 26, 2012 10:02 am

You know I was just telling my daughter the other day to get up and go for a walk instead of looking for a quik fix! Great Post!

• November 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Well, we are the generation of quick fixes…but hopefully you can motivate her by participating with her! It’s so much more fun when you have someone to share your time with :)

52. stayawhileletschat permalink
    November 26, 2012 11:00 am

Great Blog, great post. I think we are so bombarded with all the ‘improve yourself’ ideas that we forget that in order to stay healthy we need to make better choices every day. It’s not about ‘treatments’, it’s about how you treat your body on a daily basis, how you take care of yourself without all the things that society thinks you should be doing to look better and feel better.

• November 26, 2012 9:30 pm

Absolutely! Terrific point. Good health is a daily undertaking, and I must note that it’s not just physical–we must commit ourselves to being mentally healthy as well. Body and mind are so connected. Our society is so based around dealing with things after they’ve already happened and not prevention. But we must be aware of how we are treating ourselves every single day. And then to heck with what society thinks!

• stayawhileletschat permalink
        November 27, 2012 12:46 am

exactly! prevention is KEY!

53. November 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Couldn’t agree more. And since you’re starting a revolution, can you do something about all those damned popup ads that appear every time I use Facebook? I’m pretty sure I’ve never posted the words “diet” or “overweight,” yet because I’m a female over 40, it’s assumed that I MUST want to drop 3 dress sizes over night. Um, no. That causes me to get similarly ragey. Congrats for being freshly pressed!

• November 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Hah, I wish I could! I’m really pretty technologically incompetent in general, but if I could, I would!

54. November 27, 2012 2:46 pm

We find it sad how such superficial issues are branded as ‘health worries’.

It’s wise to remember that the fashion industries aim (most of it) is to sell clothes, and most of the time do this by picking on people’s insecurities. It’s how the advertising industry has worked for years, they’ve figured that people buy more when feeling sad or insecure.

Things such as Photoshop ( a program design to rid people of their ‘imperfections’ has been a tool to help fashion and advertising industries back up their ridiculous claims.

Group on and such sites are wrong to encourage such ‘offers’. Especially when vulnerable teenagers are receiving them!

Congratz on your freshly pressed post!

Look Good, Feel Good. Life’s Good

Substance Wear

x

55. mengsteab permalink
    December 9, 2012 12:59 pm

Reblogged this on weightlossexplorer.com.

56. December 19, 2012 1:56 pm

such a great post! isn’t is crazy all the crap that groupon and living social put out there? i say, ignore all the botox and cellulite treatments and buy a massage! at least you get something out of that :)